Shirland, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands 2 miles SSE of Stretton railway station, and 2 N by W of Alfreton. It has a post and money order office under Alfreton; telegraph office, Higham. The township contains also Hallfield Gate, Stonebroom, and Higham. Acreage, 2956; population, 3694. The parish includes also Higham township. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £196 with residence. Patron, Lord Hothfield. The church was restored in 1848, and a new organ was erected in 1885. It is a building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a fine embattled western tower, and contains some ancient monuments. There are Free and Primitive Methodist chapels and an endowed school with £25 a year.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5